Friday, September 9, 2016

CPAP- Night one

I went to the class to learn how to use my cpap machine yesterday afternoon, and brought it home for my first night.  The guy had recommended wearing it while watching a movie or something like that so I could be distracted while trying to adjust to the breathing.  And it was distracting.  But, I didn't...I put everything off until the last minute and it was time to go to bed.  I set the machine up and that was when I realized that I forgot to buy distilled water for the humidifier, but used tap water instead.  (will get the distilled water today).

The mask is not as terrifying as I thought it would be because they have designed a new one that seems less suffocating.  It just sits under my nose.  Of course this means no more mouth breathing, and I have to remember to breathe through my nose instead. I was going to take a picture of me wearing it, but maybe later.

So, I put the thing on and let it run and practiced not mouth breathing because it makes me breathe in and out through my nose.  If I try to breathe out through my mouth everything gets all screwy!  Kind of like Darth Vader.

I took a melatonin to help me relax and found myself getting tired.  I did fall asleep.  I admit to being glad my husband was out of town so I didn't have to experiment with him in the bed with me, although, tonight he is back in town so I guess we'll see how that goes.

How did it work out?  Well, I woke up a couple times in the night and I think that was because either the mask was bumped off my face, or I tried to breathe through my mouth, but according to the stats on the machine, I slept for 7.7 hours.  Additionally, it stated that I had good mask coverage and my AHI was at 1.  I need to look into this AHI because the results the doctor gave me and the results that the cpap tech told me are way different.  But the tech said I was calculated at a 45.  That would mean severe sleep apnea.  The doctor told me an 8, which is very mild.  Either way, I had a 1 yesterday and I believe that is awesome.  

Do I feel any better rested?  I am not sure about that.  Let's see how the day progresses.  But now, I need to go get ready for work.

No comments:

Post a Comment