Friday, June 17, 2016

Doctor Visit

One of the requirements from my insurance company is "over the last year, prior to surgery, the patient has actively participated in a structured, nonsurgical weight loss program, for a total of six months with failure to achieve weight loss goals or maintain weight loss.  Participation in one of these programs must be at least 3 consecutive months in duration.  Participation must be monitored by the primary care physicain providing medical oversight for the patient and must be documented in the medical record".

I am a little fuzzy on what this means?  Will they require me to see my doctor for 6 months, or 3 consecutive months?  I guess I will find this out once I get the call back from the Bariatric clinic.

Today, I went to see my primary care physician so she could document my weight.  I was actually surprised to find that I had lost 3 pounds since the last time she weighed me in May.  So, good on me.  I have noticed that my weight has gone up and down like this over the last 6 months or so; up a pounds, down 2, up 5.  But, nothing consistently less for quite some time.  I have lost 20 or 25 pounds, but always ended up right back to this weight.

My doctor reviewed my history since I have been seeing her and documented that I have a BMI of 41.5, Diabetes, hypertension and high cholesterol.  Nothing that I didn't already know, but important because I only needed to have one of these conditions to meet insurance criteria.

To back things up a little further, this past Tuesday, I went to a Weight Loss Surgery Seminar.  They went over the different types of surgery available, what it entails and answered questions everyone had.  It was quite a large group of possible candidates.  Some of my observations:

  • I am blessed to have mobility
  • I am blessed to be able to breathe on my own without breathing tubes and air canisters
  • There really aren't great clothing options for overlarge people.  At least not for the general population
  • Many men and women don't seem to groom themselves overly much; or at least are less motivated to if they have a large amount of weight to lose.  It makes me wonder if there is a point where we might just give up and decide it doesn't matter?  I work in a professional environment, so I put in effort every day, but I'd like to think despite that, I would try.  Who knows?
  • Doctor's who promote weight loss should look fit and healthy.  And, the one at the seminar did look fit and healthy
  • The Weight loss surgery advocate, Jeannie, had boundless energy and enthusiasm.  I think I might enjoy working with her on this journey
So, now I sit and wait.  I was told I should get a call for a consultation at the end of this month or early July.  I can live with that.  I hope my insurance comes back with an approval for me,  but I guess there isn't a lot more I can do but wait and see.  I have another Doctor appointment in July to follow up on my weight loss attempts.  She did challenge me to lose some weight and start exercising 3-5 days a week.  I need to show I can follow directions, I guess.  I have started reading the South Beach Diet book as this is the diet the doctor at the seminar recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment