What does all of this mean in the big scheme of things? It means I am very close to be done with this part of the process. My surgeon never gave me a goal weight to achieve, but I do meet with his office next week, so I am going to ask those questions to see when I should slow this rodeo down and start the whole maintenance process. My guess is, they will want me to lose another 20 pounds, but maybe not?
I am wearing (comfortably) a size 8-10 in pants. For shirts I am still at a large, although sometimes a medium works out fine. As a comparison, I started out wearing a size 18-20 pants and 22-24 blouses. And all of this is only in 6 months!
What is it like to lose this much weight, this fast? Well, for starters, it's pretty amazing. I feel amazed quite frequently at many, many aspects of being a smaller more normal sized woman. My brain hasn't really caught up to the excitement of it all, however, so sometimes I don't "get" the comments made by others on how small I look. Or comments such as, "You have to be about done losing weight now?!". I still, for the most part, feel like the same person inside with the same insecurities and want to scoff at the compliments. I am trying really hard to be gracious though, and accept them.
Here is a list of positives:
- I can run! I completed the couch 25K and finished off running for 35 minutes straight. whew!
- I can walk up and down stairs all day! I went up and down my stairs the other day just doing routine chores. 35 flights. I didn't experience anything negative afterwards. No sore muscles, no joint pain. Just normal stuff.
- I can eat pretty much anything now, albeit a much smaller portion. I am still trying to focus on protein first. It fills me up the fastest and is better for me.
- My diabetes seems to be gone or nearly gone! I haven't checked my blood sugar regularly, but did the last 2 mornings. 103! That's amazing! I see my pcp next month so she will check my A1C again and we will see where I am.
- I feel generally happier. I still have bouts of anxiety at times and stress but these are usually unrelated to how I feel about my physcial appearance and health in general.
I am going bald. I have probably lost more hair than I still have. It's terribly embarrasing and has brought on an anxiety that I had never experienced before. I am working on solutions to this and hope and pray that all the experts are right and this is just a temporary situation. I have found some little stray baby hairs, so am hopeful it will grow back even better than before. Hope...hope....
So, that's my update! Pictures to follow soon!